Stoned Presidents: U.S Presidents that Smoked Marijuana

Posted in History | By Spark Report |

stonedpresidents

Before marijuana prohibition began in the late 1930′s, many people, including some of our nations leaders grew cannabis for a variety of reasons. It’s fairly well known that cannabis has thousands of industrial uses, and has been grown for thousands of years. While simply growing cannabis is far from proof that someone smoked it, there is still evidence showing many would-be U.S Presidents enjoyed it for recreational and medicinal uses.

GeorgeWashingtonGeorge Washington
Washington routinely smoked marijuana to alleviate the pain from his ailing teeth. Washington’s diary recounts his efforts to better cultivate and enhance his crops of marijuana.

ThomasJeffersonThomas Jefferson
Jefferson grew cannabis on his plantation and smuggled Chinese hemp seeds to America. He also is believed to have given special smoking blends out as personal gifts which is why he makes the list.

MadisonJames Madison
Madison once remarked that hemp gave him insight to create a new and democratic nation.

James_MonroeJames Monroe
Monroe began smoking it as Ambassador to France & continued to the age of 73.

andrewjacksonAndrew Jackson
Jackson has been documented to have smoked cannabis and tobacco cigars along with the troops he led.

taylorZachary Taylor
Like Andrew Jackson, Taylor is said to have smoked with his troops in one or more of the many wars he was in.

FranklinPierceOilFranklin Pierce
Continuing a popular theme of the era, Pierce also smoked with his troops as a general in the Mexican-American War. In a letter to his family, he says cannabis is “about the only good thing” in the war.

Abraham_Lincoln_seated,_Feb_9,_1864Abraham Lincoln
Quotes (real and fake) about Lincoln enjoying hemp are all over the internet. While some debate if Lincoln sparked up, many resources point to yes.

John_F_KennedyJohn F. Kennedy
Close acquaintances say Kennedy used cannabis regularly to control his back pain (even during his term) and actually planned on legalizing marijuana during his second term.

jimmycarterJimmy Carter
Along with his efforts to legalize marijuana, Some say Carter also hosted many marijuana smoke filled events at the White House. This leads most to assume Carter at least tried it at some point in life.

George-W-BushGeorge W. Bush
Bush publicly refused to answer the marijuana question. He was later caught saying he refused to talk about it “because I don’t want some little kid doing what I tried”.

Bill_ClintonBill Clinton
Clinton famously stated that he smoked but “didn’t inhale”. He has been known to bend the truth every now and then, so he still makes the list.

barackBarack Obama
Even though he joked off many American’s wishes to legalize marijuana, Obama has been very open with his own marijuana smoking in the past, once saying “I inhaled frequently. That was the point”.

Unfortunately history has forgotten many facts of lesser known presidents like Millard Fillmore, which makes finding evidence of possible marijuana use for some presidents next to impossible. Despite that, 30 percent of the United State’s 44 presidents are believed to have smoked marijuana for recreational and/or medical purposes. While under the average of roughly 40% of people that admit to smoking marijuana, it’s still an interesting fact to keep in mind while debating issues about marijuana use in America.

All sources for this list were gathered through internet resources. Best judgement was used in determining credibility. Any additional fact checking can be done in the comments. Subscribe to Spark Report via email subscription or RSS Feed. You can also find SR on Twitter and Facebook and coming soon to the all new StonerNation.com.

Your Thoughts:

Discussion: 15 Responses

1. Bruce W. says:

I think it’s great; in fact they should make “smoke” legal and tax the “smoke” a little bit, make alcohol illegal or harder to get along with putting a large tax on HARD ALCOHOL! More accidents happen because of drunk drivers and people who smoke a joint any day of the week. When’s the last time one of those is been driving around stoned and driving 110 mph through a school zone? Not me, only zone that I am in might be the one in my kitchen looking for something to munch out on! If the government would just look it the big picture and realizes that that people don’t try harder drugs after smoking marijuana and they might actually make a lot of money at it while reducing the national debt that were in.

Not only what I stated above, but I’m paralyzed from roughly the armpits down and I’ve been prescribed more OxyContin and Oxycodone rather than marijuana which would help out my pain much better, and it wouldn’t be getting “CONSTIPATED”! I had a doctor cancel all of my pain medication and one out on my own to seek out my own remedies…

Be cool, be easy, and be careful who you talk to!

2. Ni**er says:

The above statement is true except for the trying hard drugs. I know many people who started with smoking weed and going on to doing cocaine and even meth. Including my father.

But we SHOULD legalize weed. The above statement is 99%true

3. hemaworstje says:

it should not be legalised otherwise it wil be taxed and the prices/producers wil be monopolised.
    All y need to do is tolerate is like we do in the netherlands.

4. haybutt says:

As for leading to hard drugs, let me just say that even though they don’t publish it, alcohol is considered by professionals in the field to be a stronger, more dangerous gateway drug the weed. They don’t publish that though because it would be a direct attack to the spirits industry. Take to any rehab facility. They will tell you that if you lock 10 heroin addicts in a room and 10 alcoholics and let them detox statistics prove that you will have 10 heroin addicts and 5 alcoholics alive in the end. How sad is that!? and its legal!?

Anyway I am not endorsing heroin, just needed a drug on par with alcohol which weed is not even close. So lets here is for herb!

5. Hoz says:

The only reason Marijuana is a “gateway” drug is because the way to obtain it in the US is from criminals, and they also offer hard drugs.

There is nothing in it’s pharmacology that makes marijuana users want to shoot heroin or sniff cocaine or smoke meth. The criminals that deal marijuana push the hard stuff to increase their profits.

If pot were legalized, taxed and offered to the public as alcohol or tobacco (both have been scientifically shown to be addictive and a killer) there would be no “gateway” cause and effect.

6. Carl Spunkinmire says:

The first comment may have some truths from it, yet there are misconceptions. If it were legalized, an ounce would be the price of two grams.

If it were legalized, the chances of people going on to hard drugs would be reduced. The dealer is the perpetuator of the situation. If I drink milk frequently, I wont move onto whiskey. Its a flawed concept.

7. Chip D Monk says:

There are a lot of people in the USA that do not want to see Obama reelected in 2012, but I think he may be our only hope. Like Kennedy planned, I think there is much hope for Obama legalizing cannibis during his second term. If he legalizes it during his first term all the right wing stuffed shirt money grubbing Christians will probably work hard to keep him from being reelected because of the dent it’s legalization would might in this country’s prison industrial complex. So much free labor out the window, kind of similar to the end of Germany’s free labor when all the slaves still living were set free at the end of WWII. So I think there is much hope for its legalization after Obama is reelected in 2012.

8. Chip D Monk says:

There are a lot of people in the USA that do not want to see Obama reelected in 2012, but I think he may be our only hope. Like Kennedy planned, I think there is much hope for Obama legalizing cannabis during his second term. If he legalizes it during his first term all the right wing stuffed shirt money grubbing Christians will probably work hard to keep him from being reelected because of the dent it’s legalization would make in this country’s prison-industrial complex. So much free labor out the window, kind of similar to the end of Germany’s free labor when all the slaves still alive were set free at the end of WWII. So, I think there is much hope for its legalization, if Obama is reelected in 2012.

9. SteveTHEstoner says:

The only way Marijuana is considered a gate-way drug, is sometimes, the people who move on to harder drugs are born ” Druggies “. and they want to try meth, cocaine, etc. But want to start off with Marijuana just to get a feel for drugs.
    Just my High thoughts.

10. Da'Koon says:

If you watched The Union you’d know how marijuana works and everything. People need to watch it so they know it isn’t bad for you whatsoever.

11. angel says:

LEGALIZE IT!!!!! THATS ALL I GOT TO SAY!!!! 100% TRUE HAHAHA

12. Cale says:

I think pot should be tolerated. It is proven to be safer to your body than cigarettes, alcohol, and any other drug on the market. It is a natural plant, usually without any additives, and people enjoy it! I dont know about legalization, just because knowing that tobacco used to be additive-free until the government got their hands on it and companies started putting in additives to make it addicting to the consumer, I think that they might eventually do that with pot. But like Hemaworstje said, I think weed should be tolerated.

13. future president says:

If it were legalized we could run on hemp fuel and that would cost us about 50 cent a gallon. we could completely stop depending on foreign oil. We’ nearly cut our nations debt in half

14. William Tucker says:

Our country was designed by Madison under influence of THC Our greatest founders and others were against prohibition until Ronnie Reagon , read his bikini Island H bomb quote and tricky Dicky Nixon! That alone tells any moderately intelligent person that Prohibition needs to be reversed tax and regulate if need be or allow us to grow our own with tax sticker

15. dave says:

Marty Van Buren sold my great great great great granddaddy a nickel bag of bush weed.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Dope Smoking US Presidents « Money, Hoes, & Clothes!
  2. The Dope Smoking US Presidents - Who is Raven Symone dating
  3. Commanders in Cheef: 9 Presidents Who Smoked Trees [WEEDLY COLUMN][Weedly Column] : COED Magazine
  4. Weed Smoking Presidents